Governance, History and the Redevelopment Story
Governance of Leslie Groves
St John’s Parish (Roslyn) Friends of the Aged and Needy Society Inc. is a charitable trust. A board of parishioners from St John’s Anglican Church in Highgate, Roslyn, Dunedin, governs the Rest Home, Hospital and Day Centre.
Leslie Groves – History
The Leslie Groves Rest Home was established in 1952 in a large house in Wakari Road, Wakari, Dunedin. In the early years there were generous donations of furniture and household goods to help set up the Home and people gave freely of their time and expertise to work on the renovations and gardens. Rosters of volunteers helped with residents cares and to attend to household chores such as washing, ironing and cleaning. Many residents were often still able to look after themselves as well as assist with household tasks.
In 1963 an architecturally designed, single story home was built on the present site in Sheen Street, Roslyn, Dunedin. Further modifications to the Rest Home followed in 1973 doubling the accommodation and creating an enclosed courtyard and garden. A further refurbishment in 2002 brought the Rest Home to the current design.
In September 1997 the Leslie Groves Hospital opened, catering for 25 Hospital Level aged care residents and 41 Psychogeriatric residents. The Hospital was previously part of Wakari Hospital and is situated on a sunny corner site surrounded by beautiful spacious grounds, with spectacular views of Mt Cargill .
As the hospital was built in the 1950’s, by modern standards it was considered outdated -most rooms were built to accommodate multiple residents with only a wash basin and no bathing or toileting facilities. In 2007 the Board of Trustees accepted a 10 year Strategic Plan which outlined a redevelopment of the Leslie Groves Hospital facility in Wakari. The current major redevelopment commenced in July 2011 and is nearing completion.
The St John’s Parish (Roslyn) Friends of the Aged and Needy Society Inc. proudly celebrated its 60th Anniversary in November 2012.
The Hospital Redevelopment
The current redevelopment commenced in July 2011 and has been a staged process. In January 2012 a new administration wing was completed and occupied. At the same time five Hospital level beds were also opened followed soon after by the opening of a purpose built laundry and commercial kitchen.
By November 2012 stages 5 and 6 of the redevelopment were completed and these beds were occupied by residents from the specialist hospital unit to allow the next stages to commence.
Stages 7 and 9 were completed by late 2013 including the building of a new staff facility and the specialist hospital (D6) area bringing the total bed capacity at the hospital site to 71 residents. Some further redevelopment is planned to commence in the not to distant future.
The hospital is designed to be flexible to meet the residential care demands of the Otago community. This means that units can be enlarged while still remaining safe and secure to meet the required needs of residents.